There are thousands of stories about homelessness in Austin. Some are easy to see — they can be found on street corners and intersections all around town. Others are harder to find — they come from the family that has to stay with friends and family because they can’t afford the rent, or the mother who can’t find enough work to support her children. The stories we found during our series on homelessness come from the seen and the unseen. Read on to find all of the stories in one place, along with some additional information and updates.
About Rooted Austin
Dig in. Dig deep. The blog
- A look at the visible homeless of Austin
- In our series on homelessness, we’ve brought you the stories of people whose situations were hard to see. Now, we explore a more visible side of the issue. Shea Grant has been surviving without a home for the past ten years after leaving foster care at 17. Rooted looks into Shea’s life of singing and playing [...] Read more – ‘A look at the visible homeless of Austin’.
- One woman’s struggle ends with a new home
- Last week, Rooted photographer and reporter Cassandra Adamson brought you the story of Hope, a woman who chose homelessness to save her life. Hope made the hard decision to leave her abusive husband so she could fight drug addiction. This week, Cassandra shows you how Hope’s decision has changed her life and how coming to [...] Read more – ‘One woman’s struggle ends with a new home’.
- One woman chooses homelessness to save her life
- This week, Rooted photographer Cassandra Adamson brings you Hope’s story. She is part of a group of homeless in Austin that you might never see. When given the choice between death and homelessness, she chose the streets. Read on to find out more, and be sure to come back next week for the next installment [...] Read more – ‘One woman chooses homelessness to save her life’.